When planning to start a magazine
- Don't be scared by the fact that you are being thrown in at the deep end of
marketing. Use your journalistic instincts, get the (if I remember rightly) who,
where, why, what, when right.
- The "why" is the most important. Why do you want to publish
this magazine, in terms of communication? Why would a business want to receive it.
If there is no why, there is no point to the publication and no
point in reading it or advertising in it.
- If you are helping business, this is something larger advertisers
may want to be associated with.
- A few of these could kickstart smaller advertisers' interest.
- The why, and the print run figures for people like mobile phone
vendors are key.
- Try posing as an advertiser and getting the media packs of magazines
serving a similar market. The media packs are stuffed with useful
- Besides seeing the competition's claims having the media packs will help
when you create your own .
- If you can beat the competition, you can use copies of their magazine as a
calling list, and have the comparisons ready.
- Anyhow, before anything else, work out the why.